Friday, September 21, 2007

Ten years in the making

Lets see ten years ago I was still in high school deep in the grips of Mr.Bond, I was also skateboarding every day and worrying about what homework was due. I certainly wasn't looking forward to Team Fortress 2, as I had never even heard of it at the time. Valve put the announced sequel to the original on the back burner opting to rerelease the first game (originally released in 1996 for the Quake engine) as Team Fortress Classic in 1999. That same year they also announced TF2 would be coming soon and was in development again.

Jump forward to the beginning of this week. TF2 is finally making its debut as a playable public beta (provided you preorder) and should be released in October. The game has undergone a drastic engine and graphics change and looks nothing like what was originally previewed for release in 2000. The look as gone from as realistic as they could manage in 1999 to a cartoonish hyper realism that smacks of the Incredibles. I know some folks are a bit put off by the games art direction, but the style is right up my alley.

I can't speak to how accurately the game play holds to the original because I only played it once or twice. TF2 is amazing though, I have not been excited about a first person shooter in ages, well at least a multiplayer one. The game modes keep each round fresh and the different classes mean that if one tactic isn't working you have eight other options (there are 9 total) to try before throwing in the towel. If it takes 10 years to produce a product that is this unique, artistic and just plan good then I hope other companies take notice. Don't rush your product and don't go for the easy buck. Aspire to be like Valve and Blizzard, who always say it will be finished when it is finished and then release super polished games that sell millions.

A few youtube trailers for the game coming soon...

No comments: