Friday, September 7, 2007

For the love of cookbooks

I know that I have mentioned 101cookbooks.com before, its a great read on the exploration and experimentation that ultimate leads to an amazing recipe. I had never actually made any of the dishes from the blog though. For shame I know. The photography and write ups keep me extremely entertained on there own, so recommending the site without actually cooking didn't seem to devious.

So, last night I manned up and picked Heidi's "Five Minute Tomato Sauce Recipe" to make for Crystal. There was near zero time or monetary commitment for this meal, I had most of the ingredients already and as the recipe says "five minute". I put it over Penne and served it with cold water (exciting I know, I couldn't find Orangina at the store I went to). It was a hit, very light and simple given the hot summer weather. The next time I make it I will most likely cut back on the crushed red pepper flakes a bit (1 tsp vs 1 1/2 tsp) as they are intended to add kick to the meal, not dominate it.

I have always wanted to know how to make a quick and tasty tomato sauce from scratch. Canned sauces always feel like they are only going half way between bland and uninspired so I swore them off years ago. Crystal makes a killer meaty pasta sauce, that will warm you to the core in the winter months, but can make you feel like your 3 hours into to a Thanksgiving day nap in the summer. This recipe is just the ticket for last minute guest and great after a long day at work that would feel even longer should you spend more than 10 minutes in the kitchen.

I will be trying more of the dishes from 101cookbooks.com in the coming weeks and will come here to share my successes and failures rest assured.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh and it was delicious!! I would love to be your guinea pig for other recipes off of that website.

Erin and Grant said...

This is exciting stuff. I've been on the lookout for something this simple, and I actually came across this recipe after you recommended the site to us.

Now... a good meatball recipe to accompany the sauce. Or perhaps some other thoughtful addition.