Tuesday, September 25, 2007

101 Cooking Again

Monday night I decided to go hunting on 101 Cookbooks again. Since I'm fasting I wanted something that was a quick prepare and could meet my deadline of sundown. So I went straight to the "quick recipes" portion and browsed for a main course and side that looked like they would complement each other. I first came across the "black pepper and lime oven fries" and was immediately drawn to the picture. Crystal makes really simple, but super tasty oven fry, but these had a little more color and after reading, a little bit of kick too.

Side decided, I moved on to my main course. Egg salad sandwiches wasn't really what I was looking for, but when you haven't eaten since 11pm the night before you can be tempted very easily. Again the picture got me. I liked the idea of making a chunkier egg salad, the celery did just that. Learning a new way to boil eggs was nice addition and a skill I will carry forward this Easter. Using less mayo is always welcome, especially when I can't really go to the gym or ride a bike for a month (see fasting above).

It was fantastic meal and has been added to my list of keeper recipes. One of my goals in life is to have a stable of quick meals that I can impress people with should the opportunity arise. Oh, its ten at night and you haven't had dinner yet, lets skip Taco Hell and I'll whip up some 5 minute tomato sauce over some pasta for you. Not too wild an ambition I know, but practical as hell in a pinch.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You still need to find a fantastic recipe for apple pie :) We have many an apple in need of baking.