Monday, October 29, 2007

Go West, Young Man!

I have traveled up and down the east coast my whole life. There is a lot to see for a history geek like myself, the revolutionary and civil war alone could easily fill up a lifetime of vacations. What about the rest of this fine country though? The farthest west I had ever been before last year was Kentucky. Last year I went to Texas on a business trip and my eyes were opened, my interest was peeked and my appetite was wet. I want to go west!

Not move to or take an extended vacation to, but at least see the other side of this here America. My ideal trip would be a four week drive across the country and back with a lay over in California, Oregon or Washington. The reality is that we would probably fly and skip the headache of driving for weeks on end. Using all my vacation time for the year to see what many have termed "fly over country" doesn't sound that appealing either. It would have to be in the summer as that is when teachers run wild, but two other opportunities make the summer perfect too, PAX and Comic-Con.

While I don't think Crystal would be super motivated to go all the way to the west coast to spend 3-5 days in geek heaven. I do think that I could swing at least a day or two at one or the other while keeping her happy with less geek oriented activities the rest of the week.

Update: Now if we could cross the US in less than 32 hours that would be a different story.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're going to have to find something fantastic for me to do to overlook a day at a geek festival! :)