Thursday, October 4, 2007

Apple of my eye (part 2)

So we have a metric ton of apples care of my Birthday weekend and no apple related recipes under our collective belt. What is a couple to do? Get on the internetz and learn something new of course. One oh one's recipe wasn't quite what I was looking for and looked a little confusing, so I went Google hunting. There was a lot of crap, but I finally came across the perfect apple pie recipe at Elise.com. Elise seems very similar to One o' one, she has a select amount of recipes, but they are all home tested and have a good story to accompany them.

We decided we would split the recipe between two days and make the dough on Monday night. Lacking a food processor and almond floor as an alternative, we chopped our almonds in the blender as finely as possible. The rest of the recipe called for a food processor too, but after reading 101 she mentioned that you could do it by hand too, so off my bear claws went. The dough seemed like it went well and we packed it in plastic, stuck it in the fridge and called it a night.

Day two, also known as Tuesday, saw Crystal getting home before me to find rocks in the fridge. The dough had been chilled for close to 20 hours so we couldn't get started as soon as we had wanted. A little television and Crystal's famous chili and we were back in the kitchen. I showed Crystal how to cut up apples quick and she mixed the filling. The dough must have gotten too warm or we screwed up the recipe, but the lower crust was sticking to the counter no matter how much flower we threw at it. Once we got it spread out to near twelve inches it was falling apart all over the place. We finally got the lower crust in the pan and I stuck the upper crust back in the fridge to try and fix the problem we had just dealt with. We cleaned up a bit and then tackled the upper crust. This time it went much better, chilling it made it much more elastic and it went one top with out headache.

There was a bit of dough left and a handful of filling, so I threw it in a tart dish and baked it right next to the pie. Both creations came out great, we let them sit for an hour and had some of the best pie I have ever tasted. Well not the best, but making it myself did make it a lot tastier. We will be back into the realm of apple in the future and this time we will have a food processor!

3 comments:

Erin and Grant said...

Noice. You think you'll stick with the recipe next time you make one or will you switch it up? If you try another pie, you might experiment with a shortening crust to see how that compares with the butter one.

So cool.

Wreck said...

Do you have a shortening recipe to share? If so lay it on me, I am enjoying baking.

Unknown said...

Why did we throw flowers at the crust? hehe :)