Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I'm not amused

What is an amusement park, if it lacks they key ingredient "amusement"? The quick answer would be its a "park", but then I would want to punch you in the eye for that answer.

This past Saturday Crystal and I went to Busch Gardens of Williamsburg to partake in their family fun and entertainment. Lets say I have a selective memory and was genuinely excited when we made the plan to go. I had not been to an amusement park in three years prior to our recent trip. We end up being at the park for a total of 6 hours and only rode 4 rides, 5 if you count the sky bucket ride that we rode to cross the park. Four total rides and not for lack of trying, we were either walking to a ride or standing in line for a ride the entire time we were there, sans lunch.

My next qualm is my own personal hang up unfortunately. Ever since I hit age 23ish I get headaches and upset stomaches on roller coasters. Remember that part a paragraph ago about "selective memory", well here is were it was applied and quite liberally I might add. After the first ride I had a pounding headache that only went away after standing in line for an hour for the next ride. Rinse and repeat, my whole day was spent getting sick from one ride, waiting in line, feeling better and then getting on another ride that made me sick.

Yesh, I sound like a cranky old man. We did have fun together of course, as we always do even in the worst situations. We ate at Das Festhaus and got to watch the Oktoberfest show while eating giant roast beef sandwiches. There were plenty of people to make fun of and snicker at. Crystal heard some lady going on about how "her hole just keeps getting bigger". We noted that lots of people at amusement parks have tattoos and most of them don't take care of them.

The highlight of our trip was actually a ride and a third party account of said ride that did indeed deliver. The newest ride at BGoW is the Griffin. It is a 90 degree drop coaster that by my account was the least headache inducing ride we went on. My guess is that it is a new ride so it rattles less and I think the rattling is what makes me feel bad. We waited in line for das Griffin for a little over an hour and rode it for 2 minutes. The fun to patience ratio was very low, but the ride was a good experience overall. It was a bit "xtreme" in terms of the physical forces it applied to my body, but having bungee jumped and sky dived before it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Not so for some other on fortunate lad I', sorry to say.

As we were leaving the park we were keeping up with two young gentlemen who were giggling like school girls. I thought it odd as they were both dressed "thug" or rather "keepin it from da streets". When we made it to the gate exit they decided to share their mirth with two young park attendants. Apparently someone had crapped themselves mid la Griffin. My guess is they had to go a little bit when they got in line, really had to go after an hour wait in line and went during the ride. I guess the forces really were "xtreme". Humor aside this could be a big marketing tool for "the gardens". "For the summer of 2007, the all new Griffin, 205 feet of crap inducing power!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We did have fun..enough fun for probably another 3 years. At least then we will forget how much fun amusement parks are and we will go again :)

Erin and Grant said...

When I took the Mosby girl scouts to the State Fair, I quickly realized that I don't enjoy being thrown around by theme park rides anymore. It would almost be sad, if King's Dominion didn't charge $12 for lunch at Stan Makita's or $50 to just flippin' get in, so I say good riddance. We did have some good times back-in-the-days though. I almost won a gang fight there, after all.