Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Faux Spinning

It might sound impressive to say that I have been riding 2 to 3 nights a week since March. I guess it also sounds impressive to most people when they hear I build computers too. In both cases your since of wow should be blunted a bit. Please put away the confetti. One, building computers is easy, plug it all in and turn on, for the most part. Two, almost all of those rides were in the gym on an exercise bike, sad I know, but true.

No wind in my hair, what little there is. No song birds a singing and certainly no fields of corn to look upon or city streets to marvel at. Just 35-45 minutes of pain, boredom and Aesop Rock. Apart from the music, gym riding is the bane of this young fellows very existence. Chalk it up to any number of excuses, but riding in the gym is just plain convenient. If I want to get in dinner, hang out time with the wife, video games and a ride (or some form of exercise), then something has to give. Said "something" is my time on an actual saddle unfortunately.

Now that Crystal has left the women's communist party of exercise and joined me and the rest of the free world at the YMCA, it is even easier to just hit the gym. The heat is a nice scapegoat too, but to pretend that I am so busy that I can't find time for my two wheeled friend is a joke. I miss spinning down the road, but I also miss going out with my friends on their two wheeled friends.

Tonight there is a planned ride from la castle de brick and I can't go, too busy (dinner out with another couple and family in town), and I'm crushed. One missed ride does not a week of excuses make though. I am planning to bring my bike to beach next week. Apart from rides from our rental (house), I am hoping Crystal and I can catch the ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke and spin through some beautiful sites. Two wheeled wishes and saddle soared dreams friends, wishes and dreams indeed.

Update: The ride tonight was canceled, because it is as hot as the devil's armpit today.

1 comment:

Grant said...

Faux spinnin' is sho spinnin'. I rode last Saturday from 9:45-12:45 and felt sick from the heat the rest of the day. I didn't even ride to work yesterday/today. Once the weather calms down a bit, we can work out some Sat. morning/Wed. evening rides.